Saturday, May 8, 2010

Discovery

Today Nicole and I started with the 2010 garden expansion - the addition being a long row meant for this years potatoes and onions. Nicole had to leave around 5:00 and so I was left to finish things up. As the day wound down there was a large pile of weeds and lawn that was destined for my make-shift compost pile in the backwoods. I opened the back fence to begin the many trips to and fro, giving Apollo access to the neighbors yard. Ten minutes later he refused to come back, so I went after him and started to trek into the woods. Not 20 paces in I got distracted by some old, crumbling chicken wire and decided the dog can wait - he's not really going anywhere anyways. I wrapped up the wire into a roll, turned around to make my way towards the house, and spotted this:


Our very own Morel mushroom. These things are rare. Very rare. At the Mill City Farmers Market today they were going for $50.00 / lb. Besides being Minnesota's very own State Mushroom (statue 1.149), the morel is prized among gourmet chefs and mushroom hunters alike. Personally, I never had the pleasure of enjoying them. But all that is about to change.

1 comments:

ahuinker said...

I enjoy reading your blog Nate and Nicole